President Rodrigo Duterte is scheduled to visit victims of the Iloilo-Guimaras Strait mishap, when three motor bancas capsized due to bad weather, Malacañang said.
“I think tama (it’s right that he’s going there) tomorrow (Wednesday), kasi may event ngayon eh (because he has Palace events today),” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
Panelo earlier said that Duterte may most likely visit the victims of the mishap due to his “character” and “style.”
Asked if the President was upset over the incident, Panelo did not respond but explained that according to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), no protocols were violated when they allowed the boats to sail.
“Narinig ko kanina ang paliwanag ng Coast Guard eh, ini-interview. Ang sabi nila, wala raw silang viniolate na protocol kasi ‘pag number one lang iyong storm, puwedeng maglayag ang mga… So, kumbaga sinunod lang nila (I heard the explanation of the Coast Guard in an interview. They said, they didn’t violate any protocol because it was only storm signal No. 1, they can sail…So, they just followed it),” Panelo said.
“Eh siguro dapat nga eh, kahit No. 1 hindi ka na pupuwedeng magpunta sa dagat (Perhaps even if it’s just signal No. 1, they shouldn’t be allowed to go to sea),” he added.
Panelo previously said that whoever is responsible for securing the people during storms “should exercise more prudence, caution, and should give the people more guidelines relative to facing this kind of disasters.”
Reports showed that the sea mishap claimed at least 31 lives over the weekend due to alleged overloading. (PNA)
more recommended stories
DTI 6 monitors prices of Noche Buena items
The Department of Trade and Industry.
Army In Caraga Vows Support For PRRD’s Decision On Peace Talks
Top officials of the Philippine Army.
PCOO ASEC. Ramon Cualoping III Releases PH Quincentennial Brand Manual
The Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO).
Public Urged To Keep Holiday Revelries Fire-Free
The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP).