Thursday, December 3, 2020

Fishermen In Recto Bank Incident Urged To File Insurance Claim

Fishermen In Recto Bank Incident Urged To File Insurance Claim

Spotlight

In COVID-Free Town, Learning Goes On Under The Trees, In Open Spaces

The town of Paglat, which hasn’t had a single case of COVID-19 since the pandemic, is among the few places in the Philippines where learners cope with school work through in-person tutorials.

Add To Cart: Synergeia Launches Online Store In Aid Of Parents

As part of their efforts to help boost income of parents amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Synergeia Foundation has launched an online store where parents can sell anything.

Children Still Survive In Makeshift Homes And Miss Out On Learning After Typhoon Rolly

"Our house was destroyed because we are poor," said nine-year-old Maria who was among the thousands of children left homeless when Super Typhoon Rolly made landfall in Albay.

SM Scholar Alumna Becomes Agent Of Peacebuilding In Conflict Affected Areas

SM Foundation scholar alumni Carissa Cruz shares what drives her to continue to strive for excellence at work in life in general.

Malacañang on Monday urged the twenty-two Filipino fishermen whose boat sank after it was allegedly rammed by a Chinese vessel off Recto Bank (Reed Bank) to file an insurance claim to get their compensation.

“Hindi ba ang sabi ng Chinese government (Didn’t the Chinese government say), we have to file an insurance claim. That is why they should file. Hindi ka naman basta bibigyan, siyempre may insurance iyong shipping company (They won’t just be given, of course, the shipping company has insurance),” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

Panelo said he has no knowledge whether the 22 fishermen have already filed an insurance claim but noted that the fishermen have received assistance from government and other groups.

“Don’t underestimate the fishermen. They can go to their mayor, for instance, and ask help. Oh di dadalhin sila ng mayor doon sa proper entity (They’ll be brought by the mayor to the proper entity),” Panelo said.

Despite this, the Palace official insisted that the Chinese boat owner should compensate the Filipino fishermen.

“Kailangan dahil sila ang may kasalanan eh — iyong ship. Moreover, ‘di ba inamin naman nila. Sabi nila, they are willing to pay kahit na aksidente lang (They have to because it’s their fault –their ship’s. Moreover, didn’t they admit it. They said they are willing to pay even if it’s just an accident),” Panelo said.

In a memorandum penned to Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. which was posted by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) last month, a letter from an unnamed association relayed the Chinese shipowner’s apologies.

Reports showed that the letter sender came from Chen Shiquin, president of the Guangdong Fishery Mutual Insurance Association.

“It is fortunate that there were no casualties. I feel deep regret that this accident had to happen and I would like to express my deep sympathy to the Filipino fishermen. The shipowner of the Chinese fishing boat involved, through our Association, would like to express his sincere apology to the Filipino fishermen,” it read.

Panelo accepted the Chinese shipowner’s apology and welcomed his humility to take responsibility and acknowledge that compensation must be provided to cover the actual loss.

Needs Verification

Panelo, meanwhile, refused to comment on a Washington-based think tank’s study that Chinese Coast Guard vessels patrolling features in the West Philippine Sea are purposely making their presence felt.

He said the Palace will ask the Department of National Defense to validate that observation released by the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (AMTI).

“Assuming that it’s true. Iba-validate pa nga natin eh (We have to validate it). Then if that is validated, then we file the usual diplomatic protest,” Panelo said.

“The fact alone na nag-file ka ng diplomatic protest eh di may nangyari na (you’re filing a diplomatic protest means something happened). You’re complaining,” he added.

In its Sept. 26 report, the AMTI identified 14 Chinese Coast Guard vessels broadcasting automatic identification system (AIS) signals while patrolling the West Philippine Sea.

“CCG vessels elsewhere in the South China Sea often do not broadcast AIS or do so only when entering and leaving port. But those patrolling Luconia Shoals, Second Thomas Shoal, and to a lesser degree, Scarborough Shoal appear to broadcast far more frequently,” the report read. (PNA)

Latest News

SME Owners Need Telehealth Now More Than Ever To Protect Businesses

Here’s why SME owners need telehealth now more than ever to protect their businesses.

Soccsksargen Updates Contingency Plan For Quake, Tsunami

The local governments and other stakeholders in Region 12 are now more prepared in responding to possible major earthquakes and tsunamis.

Online Market Platform For Creative Arts Pushed

Leyte 4th District Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez is pushing for the creation of an online market platform for Filipino creative arts, products, and services to support MSMEs.

The Lost Bread X Kaya Natin Movement Sweet Corn Ice Cream

Try The Lost Bread’s newest sweet corn ice cream and help the KAYA NATIN movement in its efforts to help the people of Cagayan.

‘Healthcare Warriors’ Deployed In Davao City

A total of 15 volunteer healthcare workers from Cagayan de Oro were sent to Davao City as the city’s COVID-19 tally reaches the 9,000-mark.

In COVID-Free Town, Learning Goes On Under The Trees, In Open Spaces

The town of Paglat, which hasn’t had a single case of COVID-19 since the pandemic, is among the few places in the Philippines where learners cope with school work through in-person tutorials.

Add To Cart: Synergeia Launches Online Store In Aid Of Parents

As part of their efforts to help boost income of parents amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Synergeia Foundation has launched an online store where parents can sell anything.

Covid-19 Molecular Lab In Zambales Now Operational

Detection of COVID-19 positive cases is now easier thanks to the new molecular laboratory in Zambales.

Sara Orders Mandatory Use Of Face Shield In Public Areas

The use of face shields in public places in Davao City is now compulsory following an executive order from Mayor Sara Z. Duterte.

Surigao Norte Gets P9.5-M PPE From DOH, OCD

“Aside from Siargao Island, we will provide protective equipment for all our front-liners in the mainland Surigao del Norte and Surigao City,” said Surigao del Norte 1st Dist. Rep. Francisco Jose Matugas.