The government has provided nearly PHP800 million in humanitarian assistance to areas hit by successive heavy rains as President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. convened key members of his Cabinet on Wednesday to step up flood response and mitigation measures.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the government continues to implement measures under Marcos’ directive to ensure the safety of residents affected by persistent rains in Metro Manila and other parts of the country.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has so far released nearly PHP800 million in humanitarian assistance, including more than PHP2.3 million in financial aid for affected residents, Castro said.
The government also has PHP832 million in standby funds nationwide for further disaster response.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has intensified the cleaning and monitoring of rivers, esteros, drainage systems, and coastal areas with the help of its estero rangers, river warriors, and partner organizations.
Meanwhile, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has continued inspecting flooded areas to assess conditions and immediately implement necessary interventions.
Marcos has also directed the DPWH to coordinate with the Quezon City government to align the city’s flood control master plan with national efforts and help speed up the drainage of floodwaters.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government, for its part, has reminded local government units and its field officials in affected areas to maintain close coordination with their respective Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Councils and remain alert to changing weather conditions.
Health, dam monitoring
Castro said the Department of Health has also heightened its monitoring for a possible increase in leptospirosis cases following widespread flooding.
Affected Centers for Health Development remain under Code White Alert, while the DOH continues to coordinate with the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
The agency has also prepositioned around 3.1 million doxycycline capsules at its central office and 17 Centers for Health Development to ensure adequate supply for hospitals and local governments.
Marcos has likewise ordered continued close monitoring of major dams.
The National Irrigation Administration reported that the water level at Magat Dam in Isabela stood at 178.27 meters above sea level, while Pantabangan Dam in Nueva Ecija was at 187.72 meters.
No spillway gates were open, and no spill discharge was reported in either dam.
NIA Administrator Eddie Guillen also reported no widespread damage to rice crops, saying the rains have instead boosted irrigation water supply.
The President was scheduled to meet with key agencies later Wednesday to discuss the continuing weather situation, flood response and other measures to protect affected communities, Castro said. (PNA)






